A successful college application starts in the first year of high school
For better or worse, colleges do pay attention to your First Year. Luckily, so do we.
We help First Year students take ownership of their college prep journey. We're here to start your family off on the right path by creating clear expectations and a healthy mentality toward college.
Our First Year College Consulting Services
In First Year, our goal is to help the whole family understand the basics of the college admissions process and chart a path for high school success.
We introduce the college application process to younger students in a way that eases them in - minimizing anxiety and confusion while answering their questions about the application process.
In a series of sessions with the student or the family, we will focus on essential admissions topics like:
- Understanding your likely course trajectory at your school and anticipating any scheduling challenges.
- Balancing the importance of course rigor with mental health.
- Understanding the role of rigorous coursework (of AP, IB, DE, Honors) in the admissions process.
- Identifying extracurricular commitments and pathways to deepen and expand through high school.
- Completing basic college research, and gaining familiarity with different categories of schools and the college landscape.
- Sharing our 3-pronged approach to ECs: school-based engagement, helping someone else, and passion projects.
- Discussing “spikiness vs roundedness” and laying the seeds of a plan for your application narrative.
We believe that a college education is something students should take ownership of. This begins in the first year of high school.
Want to know more about our approach to college admissions? Take a look at our philosophy about college admissions. Our team page is also a great resource to meet the faces of Sierra and learn a bit more about what makes us special. Or if you have specific questions about our work, methodology, or logistics, our FAQ page is a great place to start.
"Couldn't be happier."
We’ve worked with Alex for four years and have had nothing but an amazing experience throughout. Our son did his applications with Alex and got into Brown, so we asked him to work with our daughter. In junior/senior year he helped my daughter build a school list and coached her through writing essays that were as amazing and personal as our son’s. She's now at Bowdoin. Couldn't be happier.
Jian B., Sierra Admissions Client (21-22')
"Truly gifted writing coaches."
We hired Sierra Admissions to help my son research what he wanted to study in school. Alex helped him land an amazing research position and brought my husband and me up to speed on the admissions process. Alex has become a mentor to Ken. They know the college process in and out and are truly gifted writing coaches. We recommend Sierra Admissions to everyone.
Kerry H., Sierra Admissions Client (20-21')
Our sophomore needed help thinking about career & major. Set up meetings twice a month and were ready to go by senior year. Brown BS/MD great result!
Hanish L., Sierra Admissions Client (21-22')
"Helped me brainstorm an essay I loved."
I like writing but the college essays are so weird. I had never really written a personal essay but Alex broke it down and helped me brainstorm an essay I loved.
Lily S., Georgetown University '26